Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"A" Student...again


That's right folks, I'm back in school. After many years away from the academic realm I have taken to the classroom once more. This is an attempt to make the most of my currently flexible schedule, to better prepare myself and find ways to improve myself for when things turn around. My course load consists of “Web Development Technology”. In other words I will be learning how to create web sites; specifically scripting, writing html code, hosting, web multimedia, domains, etc.) Sound fun?

These days, branding almost inevitably involves web design so this is the most logical addition to my arsenal. I’ve dabbled in it in the past but I really want a solid foundation to build upon. What you see on a web page is nothing compared to the formatting that is behind the scenes. (the “bones” of the web site.) That being said, I have had numerous requests for graphic design and branding work, especially in the past few months. It’s different from architecture in that the design constraints aren’t as rigorous. Art is much more “free” than having to deal with things like building codes, zoning ordinances, life safety, gravity, and things of that nature. Needless to say it has been great experience for me and I have found yet another thing I really enjoy.

So I find myself on the verge of a new endeavor, which is exciting. It’s not hard to believe I’m a student again. School or no school I love to learn, to be challenged, and this should do just that. However I find myself in familiar territory- school. What does that mean? Old habits…when I went to school the first time I doodled endlessly in the margins of my notebooks. I was faced with a lot of time spent in a classroom with a pencil in hand, new people and new experiences. This always bombards me with a lot of new observations and ideas which inevitably leads to sketching. I guess I imagined that ten years later the experience would be different. I guess we’ll see. As I always say, “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing”.

So, for your viewing pleasure I have included a sketch of a guy I saw walking down the corridors of the university. Let me just say that I have taken some liberties with the concept; please note that some names, places, desserts, etc. have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment